Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Interview with Anna Zapalska by Anca M. Bruma

Anna Zapalska




1. What inspires you to write poetry?

I write poetry because this is the biggest passion in my life and it gives me a great pleasure. Sometimes I have too many thoughts in my mind and it helps me to get them out. I never force myself to write, it rather comes suddenly and naturally, just like a storm. My inspiration comes from the moment. It can be thought, it can be painting, song, nature, etc., but always connected to my feelings in this particular time. I am also very inspired by Polish poetess Halina Poswiatowska, who was called "Poetess of love and light" 


2. When do you think a poem is “good”?


In my opinion a poem is good when I can read it and it pertains to the most important values in life. A poem should be essential and connected with the inner world at all, it itself has to speak to some universal truth. It doesn't matter if poem is short or long, the most important is "the soul" of the poem and how reader can relate to it. When poem is good, reader will stop for a while, think it over or even come back to it later.


3. Why do you write haiku?


Haiku is a poetic form that is both a literary and a spiritual level. In a few lines I can speak volumes. I like to create it, to count syllables, to choose right words, to travel through nature to final point- essence. According to me, haiku is like an apparent simplicity with a hidden deep sense within.


4. Could you tell me a little bit more about the poetry platform you are administrator?


Yes, of course. The group "Emotions: Heart 2 Heart Poetry" was created 5 years ago, in September 2011. At the beginning it was a very small and chamber group, but day by day a lot of poets and readers have been joining and today there is about 45000 members from all over the world. This is the platform dedicated to all who pen the feelings with Ink and for those who can feel their emotions. There are a lot of poets and readers, who are very creative in writing as well as commenting. They also discuss about poems, values and share their own problems with others. I try to motivate them by putting inspirational quotes, poems or organizing online events for the members of the group.


5. You are a poet but also translator of poetry. What do you think is the most important in poetry translation?


Yes I translate poems from Polish into English and vice-versa. It depends on the poem. but I think the most important is ability to make a good interpretation before translation as well as good choice of words during translation. Sometimes is necessary to find perfect words to substitute for metaphors or other figures of speech. In my opinion, translator should use not only mind, but also heart to make a good translation and to pass down to readers this what author wanted to express.


6. What do you know about KIBATEK in general? Have you heard about this Literary Foundation before or just recently?


KIBATEK 40 is an International Festival of Poetry and Literature which builds artistic and literary connection between various nations. I have heard about it recently, but day by day I know more and I am really impressed with this event.


7. What are your expectations from the KIBATEK 40 Global Poetry Festival?


KIBATEK is wonderful and very interesting event that connects people from all over the world. I am open to new challenges. I would like to know more about development of literature in other countries. It's a great opportunity to know more poets, to share poetry and own reflections. It's also chance to learn new things to broaden knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment